High level csv reader

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed Nov 1 04:51:31 EST 2006

James Stroud wrote:
> George Sakkis wrote:
> > It occured to me that most times I read a csv file, I'm often doing
> > from scratch things like assigning labels to columns, mapping fields to
> > the appropriate type, ignoring some fields, changing their order, etc.
> > Before I go on and reinvent the wheel, is there a generic high level
> > wrapper around csv.reader that does all this ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > George
> >

> There is a csv in the standard library. Though many of us don't mind
> answering questions like this, you can get a lot of answers quicker by
> (1) looking to see what's in the standard library and (2) using google.
>
> http://docs.python.org/lib/module-csv.html
>
> James

The OP mentioned "csv.reader".  This indicates to me that he *has* read
the csv docs (have you?), and is *already* using the csv module. The
tasks he says he does often are *not* covered by the standard library.
He appears to be asking if there is a higher-level wrapper around the
standard library.

Please consider reading his question carefully.