Software Compatable with other versions?

Laurent Pointal laurent.pointal at limsi.fr
Tue Nov 21 10:56:18 EST 2006

georgeryoung at gmail.com a écrit :
> On Nov 21, 7:24 am, "Michael Yanowitz" <m.yanow... at kearfott.com> wrote:
>>   I am still using Python 2.4.3, I haven't upgraded yet.
>> However, I would like to know if my 2.4.3 programs will run
>> in 2.5 without modification.
>>   Is there any way to test that my software is compatable
>> with 2.5 (or any other version), without actually installing
>> that version?:
> You need to install 2.5.  If you're on linux or similar OS, get the
> source and
> do
>   ./configure
>   make altinstall
> This installs almost everything, but does not overwrite your link to
> 2.4.3.
>
> Then you can test your code using
>    python2.5 myfile.py
>
> When you're all set, just change the link "python" to point to the new
> python2.5.

Hum, IMHO it's a bad idea to change the python link to another Python
version (other than de distro default).

Can put the Python version in script header (and make it executable)
#!/bin/env python2.5

Can write a small script shell starting the Python script with the
ad-hoc Python version.

>>   I have been told that the .pyc are not compatable. Is it
>> possible, to convert a 2.4.x .pyc to a 2.5 .pyc?

The magic code.

Just rm -rf *.pyc from your own scripts directories, they will be rebuilt.

A+

Laurent.