Python v PHP: fair comparison?

walterbyrd walterbyrd at iname.com
Wed Nov 15 10:58:05 EST 2006

Michael Torrie wrote:

> Absolutely false.  Most of my standalone, command-line scripts for
> manipulating my unix users in LDAP are written in PHP, although we're
> rewriting them in python.

I would say that you are one of very few who use PHP for sys-admin
tasks - and even you have switched to Python. In general, it does not
seem to me that PHP has caught on as a sys-admin language.

However, as sys-admin scripting langanges go, I would also say that
Python is far less popular than butt-ugly Perl. Again - just based on
what I've seen.