Tuple assignment and generators?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Fri May 5 04:49:49 EDT 2006

vdrab wrote:

> Wow, so, to see if I understand correctly:

> True
> True
> True
> False
>
> what the...?
> does anybody else get mighty uncomfortable about this?

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
  int a = 1;
  int b = 1;
  printf("a == b: %i\n", a == b);
  printf("&a == &b: %i\n", &a == &b);
  return 0;
}

droggisch at ganesha:/tmp$ ./test
a == b: 1
&a == &b: 0

Feeling the same might uncomfortableness? Get used to it: object identity
and two objects being part of an equality-relation are two different
beasts. It can get even worse: I can define an object (in C++ as well as in
python) that is not even equal to itself. Not that I felt the need for that
so far....

So: don't use object identity where you want equality. In all languages.

Diez