Tabs are *MISUNDERSTOOD*, *EVIL* AND *STUPID*, end of discussion. (Re: Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code)

achates aylwyn at cantab.net
Thu May 18 06:47:28 EDT 2006

Duncan Booth wrote:

> No. That is precisely the problem: there is code in the wild which
> contains mixed space and tab indentation...

<followed by some good examples of mixed tab and space indentation>

> I wouldn't have a problem with tabs if Python rejected mixed indentation by
> default, because then none of the code above would execute.

I think it's great that at least we're all agreed that mixed
indentation is a bad idea in any code, and particularly in Python.

How would people feel about having the -t (or even -tt) behaviour
become the default in future Python releases? A legacy option would
obviously need to be provided for the old default behaviour.