IronPython 1.0 Beta 7 Released

Ravi Teja webraviteja at gmail.com
Fri May 26 01:12:18 EDT 2006

> > Also, IronPython cannot access CPython libraries. So it cannot be used
> > as a drop-in replacement for CPython in most non-trivial apps. Python
> > for .NET however allows you to both use both CPython and .NET
> > libraries.
>
> It will be able to access the standard libraries, as long as they are
> writen in pure python, otherwise they should be rewriten in a .NET
> language. People are doing it already, it's just a matter of time...

I didn't mean the standard library port like Jython but the wealth of
third party native Python code available. What I am trying to get at is
Jython is better than JPype in some settings because while it cannot
access native Python extensions like JPype can, it does allow you to
create Java jars which may freely be used in applets or applications. I
did use it in this way in the past. But if IronPython can't create
libraries in a similar standing as you stated, I wonder why it is a
better option than Python for .NET (which has been getting a lot less
press and consequently has low momentum) which does everything
IronPython does and more. Arguably, creating a binding mechanism is a
simpler task than re-implementing the whole VM.

Don't get me wrong, I am very excited about IronPython, just trying to
weight pros and cons.