dynamic drawing in web page

Rhino no.offline.contact.please at nospam.com
Sun May 21 18:43:49 EDT 2006

"barbaros" <barbaros at ptmat.fc.ul.pt> wrote in message
news:1148245752.728480.238540 at u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...
> Hello everybody,
>
> I need to put some dynamic drawings on my web page. More precisely, I
> need to draw a number of geometric figures (circles, rectangles) which
> evolve into a graphics windows according to some law (a little bit like
> the solar system). I need also to have several fields aside the window,
> where the visitor can change values for several significant parameters
> (like the mass of each body).
>
> Could you please suggest a solution (preferably not involving hundreds
> of lines of code) ? The computations should be performed on the client
> machine.

Basically, it sounds like you're talking about writing an applet. An applet
is a Java program that sits on a web page. You can write an applet so that
it draws circles, arcs, etc. and you can give the user the ability to
interact with an applet.

If you look at the sample applets that Sun has written for Java -
http://java.sun.com/applets/jdk/1.4/index.html -
you'll see that a few applets are doing at least some of what you want to
do. Each example includes source code so that you can get a rough idea of
how much code is necessary to do what you want.

In your case, you might want a single applet with several distinct canvases
for drawing or a separate applet for each canvas; either way could probably
work.

--
Rhino