CFLAGS are not taken into account properly

Toon Knapen "reverse[nepank.noot]" at fft.be
Wed May 17 08:39:14 EDT 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:

> I agree, the Python configure/Makefile combination doesn't conform very well
> to current GNU style in this regard.  Try setting EXTRA_CFLAGS instead of
> CFLAGS.

Thanks.

But some other (but 'similar') functionality is broken. Now I succeeded
in compiling python. But when using distutils (e.g. when installing
numarray using the setup.py), python will compile the files using the
'-xarch=v9' option but drops this option when linking dynamic libraries
(although I defined LDFLAGS="-xarch=v9" before configuring python).
Additionally python adds the option '-xcode=pic32' to the
compile-command which will compile my numarray in 32bit instead of 64bit
(while python itself is in 64bit)

toon