NaN handling

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmail.com
Sat May 6 08:42:50 EDT 2006

Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> writes:

> Ivan Vinogradov wrote:
>
> > It doesn't seem to be here under OSX either (universal Python install).
>
> It's not enabled by default. In the source distribution, it is
> Modules/fpectlmodule.c .
>
> > Since numpy seems to be working on a variety of platforms/hardware,
> > how hard would it be to extract this functionality from it to add to
> > Python proper?
>
> Harder than just enabling fpectl.

Last thing I heard fpectl was considered to be completely broken -- it's
likely not disabled by default for no reason. A short google turned up this:

    Comment By: Michael Hudson (mwh)
    Date: 2006-02-20 12:59

    Message:
    Logged In: YES
    user_id=6656

    Waaa, the correct thing to is to remove the --with-fpectl from configure!
    I've
    been meaning to post to python-dev for a while now proposing the ripping out
    of this code.  It's just not useful any more.  At any rate, I am actively
    opposed to
    advertising its existence more widely.

And in pep 356 (python 2.5 release schedule) we find:

    Possible features for 2.5
        [...]
        - Remove the fpectl module?

So "just enabling fpectl" doesn't look like a viable long term solution.

'as