copying files into one

Ten runlevelten at gmail.com
Sun May 14 10:03:21 EDT 2006

On Sunday 14 May 2006 05:09, Gary Wessle wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looping through a directory and appending all the files in one
> huge file, the codes below should give the same end results but are
> not, I don't understand why the first code is not doing it.
>
> thanks

Hi there - I think you might need to give a more whole code sample when asking
this question, as it's all a bit ambiguous - for instance "file" is a type,
like "string" or "list" but...

> combined = open(outputFile, 'wb')
>
> for name in flist:
>     if os.path.isdir(file): continue

 ^If you can successfully get past this line, you must have reused "file" to
describe a string (which is probably quite a *BAD* idea ;) ) and just not
included some of the code... BUT

>     infile = open(os.path.join(file), 'rb')

This line suggests it's a list, so I don't know. Argh.

Anyway, I'm not being pernickety, just pointing out that it's a little too
ambiguous - the code sample you gave alone would not work at all..

>     # CODE 1 this does not work
>     tx = infile.read(1000)
>     if tx == "": break<<<<<
>     combined.write(tx)
>     infile.close()<<<<<<<<<
>
>     # CODE 2 but this works fine
>     for line in infile:
>         combined.write(line)
>     infile.close()
>
> combined.close()

Hope to help when you post back,

Cheers,

Ten
--
There are 10 types of people in this world,