Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code

Bill Pursell bill.pursell at gmail.com
Wed May 17 09:51:19 EDT 2006

Xah Lee wrote:
> Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code
>
> Xah Lee, 2006-05-13
>
> In coding a computer program, there's often the choices of tabs or
> spaces for code indentation.
<snip>
> (2) Due to the first reason, they have created and
> propagated a massive none-understanding and mis-use, to the degree that
> many tools (e.g. vi) does not deal with tabs well

:set ts=<n>

Yeah, that's really tough.  vi does just fine handling tabs.  vim does
an even better job, with mode-lines, = and :retab.

In my experience, the people who complain about the use
of tabs for indentation are the people who don't know
how to use their editor, and those people tend to use
emacs.