Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code

achates aylwyn at cantab.net
Tue May 16 14:46:01 EDT 2006

Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> If you want to do nice typesetting of code, you have to add markup
> which has to be stripped away if you actually want to run the code.

Typesetting code is not a helpful activity outside of the publishing
industry. You might like the results of your typsetting; I happen not
to. You probably wouldn't like mine. Does that mean we shouldn't work
together? Only if you insist on forcing me to conform to your way of
displaying code.

You are correct in pointing out that tabs don't allow for 'alignment'
of the sort you mention:
(lisp
   (nested list
    with symbols
    and things))
But then neither does Python. I happen to think that's a feature.

(And of course you can do what you like inside a comment. That's
because tabs are for indentation, and indentation is meanigless in that
context. Spaces are exactly what you should use then. I may or may not
like your layout, but it won't break anything when we merge our code.)