A critic of Guido's blog on Python's lambda

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Mon May 8 15:27:25 EDT 2006

Ken Tilton wrote:

> I just keep what I call a "datapulse ID", sequentially growing from
> zero, in a global variable. Each ruled Cell keeps track of its memoized
> value, datapulse stamp, and whether it in fact changed value in reaching
> its current datapulse stamp. (I can reach the current datapulse stamp by
> determining no dependency (direct or indirect recursively down the
> dependency graph) is both more current than me /and/ in fact changed in
> value getting there.[1] If not, I take on the current datapulse but
> never run my rule. Or, if yes, I run my rule but might compute the same
> value as last time. Either way, I can flag myself as current but
> not-actually-changed.)

> [1] Aha! I see a flaw. Arises if two datapulses pass before I (a cell
> <g>) get read and must determine if my cache is obsolete, and some
> dependency changed in the first datapulse but not the second.

No, I do not think that can happen. I was conflating two mutually
exclusive paths. If I am checking a dependency that means it would have
notified me when it in fact changed. If my rule is running i will always
get a valid value from a read. So i do not think there is a hole in
there anywhere.

In any case, I would not have needed a new last-changed-datapulse slot,
i could just change the "changed" flag to be last-changed-datapulse.

kenny

"Have you ever been in a relationship?"
    Attorney for Mary Winkler, confessed killer of her
    minister husband, when asked if the couple had
    marital problems.