Dictionaries -- ahh the fun.. (newbie help)

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Tue May 9 22:34:54 EDT 2006

rh0dium a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> Can someone help me out.  I am trying to determing for each run whether
> or not the test should pass or fail but I can't seem to access the
> results ..

(snip)
> cells={}
>
> cells["NOR3X1"]= {
>                     'run'       : [ 'lvs', 'drc' ],
>                     'results'   : [{ 'lvs' : 'pass' },
>                                    { 'drc' : 'fail' }]
>                  }
>
> cells["OR3X1"] = {
>                     'run'       : [ 'lvs' ],
>                     'results'   : [{ 'lvs' : 'pass' }]
>                  }
>
> cells["AND3X1"] = {
>                     'run'       : [ 'drc' ],
>                     'results'   : [{ 'drc' : 'fail' }]
>                  }
>

> def main():
>
>     for cell in cells:
>         print cell
>         for run in cells[cell]['run']:
>             print cell, run, "should",
> cells[cell]['results'].index(run)
>

> I would expect the following
>
> OR3X1
> OR3X1 lvs should pass
> NOR3X1
> NOR3X1 lvs should pass
> NOR3X1 drc should fail
> AND3X1
> AND3X1 drc should fail

Congratulations, almost a perfect post - you just forgot to tell the
actual result !-)

 >>> ## working on region in file /usr/tmp/python-99973O0...
 >>> main()
OR3X1
OR3X1 lvs should
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "/usr/tmp/python-99973O0", line 24, in main
ValueError: list.index(x): x not in list

May I suggest that you type "help(list.index)" in your python shell ?

 > Alternatively can someone suggest a better structure ( and a lesson as
 > to the reasoning ) that would be great too!!

What seems flawed is the cell['results'] : you use a list of dicts, each
one having a single entry - which is somewhat useless. Since you want to
use the values of cell['run'] to lookup the expected results, using a
single dict for results makes things a bit more usable:

cells={}
cells["NOR3X1"]= {
                     'run'       : [ 'lvs', 'drc' ],
                     'results'   : {'lvs' : 'pass',
                                    'drc' : 'fail' }
                  }
cells["OR3X1"] = {
                     'run'       : [ 'lvs' ],
                     'results'   : { 'lvs' : 'pass' }
                  }
cells["AND3X1"] = {
                     'run'       : [ 'drc' ],
                     'results'   : { 'drc' : 'fail' }
                  }

def main():
     for cellname, cellcontent in cells.items():
         print cellname
         for run in cellcontent['run']:
             print cellname, run, "should", cellcontent['results'][run]

This runs and produces the expected output. Now let's simplify. The
values of cell['run'] are uselessly duplicated as keys in
cell['results'] - and duplication is Bad(tm). So let's get rid of this:

cells={}
cells["NOR3X1"]= {
                     'results'   : {'lvs' : 'pass',
                                    'drc' : 'fail' }
                  }
cells["OR3X1"] = {
                     'results'   : { 'lvs' : 'pass' }
                  }
cells["AND3X1"] = {
                     'results'   : { 'drc' : 'fail' }
                  }

Now we only have a single entry ('results') for each cell. This is a
useless indirection level, so let's get rid of this too:

cells={
   "NOR3X1": {
     'lvs' : 'pass',
     'drc' : 'fail',
     },

   "OR3X1" : {
     'lvs' : 'pass',
     },

   "AND3X1" : {
     'drc' : 'fail',
     },
}

Looks simpler, isn't it ?-)

def main():
     for cellname, cellcontent in cells.items():
         print cellname
         for run, result in cellcontent.items():
             print cellname, run, "should", result

If you want to get the equivalent of cells[XXX]['runs'], just use
cells[XXX].keys().

HTH