Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code

Eli Gottlieb eligottlieb at gmail.com
Sun May 14 22:44:54 EDT 2006

Actually, spaces are better for indenting code.  The exact amount of
space taken up by one space character will always (or at least tend to
be) the same, while every combination of keyboard driver, operating
system, text editor, content/file format, and character encoding all
change precisely what the tab key does.

There's no use in typing "tab" for indentation when my text editor will
simply convert it to three spaces, or worse, autoindent and mix tabs
with spaces so that I have no idea how many actual whitespace characters
of what kinds are really taking up all that whitespace.  I admit it
doesn't usually matter, but then you go back to try and make your code
prettier and find yourself asking "WTF?"

Undoubtedly adding the second spark to the holy war,
Eli

--
The science of economics is the cleverest proof of free will yet
constructed.