Which is More Efficient?

Max Erickson maxerickson at gmail.com
Fri May 19 07:48:35 EDT 2006

"Dustan" <DustanGroups at gmail.com> wrote in
news:1148036087.843911.307990 at u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

> The task manager says "CPU Usage: 100%" when the program is
> running, and only when the program is running.
>
> Efficiency is a measure of 2 things: CPU usage and time. If you
> measure just time, you're not necessarily getting the efficiency.

A lot of people, when they say 'uses a lot of CPU' are leaving off
'time'. I.e., CPU usage is pretty much talked about in terms of
cycles, which is roughly utilization*time. Profiling tools often
report both clock time and cpu time. Cpu time is a rough analog for
cycles, clock time is self explanatory.

max