How to efficiently read binary files?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon May 1 12:44:41 EDT 2006

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2006-04-30, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Grant Edwards wrote:

>>>Perhaps the numarray module?
>>
>>numpy for new code, please.
>
> So numarray and numpy were both written to replace numeric?

numpy was written to replace both Numeric and numarray. There is a good
explanation in Chapter 1 of _The Guide to NumPy_ included in the sample chapters:

  http://numeric.scipy.org/scipybooksample.pdf

There were a number of features in Numeric that could not be replicated in
numarray, among them the ufunc C API and the speed for small arrays. numpy's
code base is closer to Numeric's but it incorporates nearly all (if not all) of
the features of numarray. The numarray developers fully support the migration to
numpy as the one array package.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."