Request for comments on python distributed technologies

Carl J. Van Arsdall cvanarsdall at mvista.com
Fri May 19 14:53:07 EDT 2006

Hey everyone, another question for the list.  In particular i'm looking
for comments on some of the distributed technologies supported in
python.  Specifically, I'm looking at XML-RPC, RPyC, CORBA, and Twisted.

Before you offer any comments let me talk about what i'm doing a little
bit.  Right now I'm creating an execution framework.  The framework aims
to allow users to create a modular system by which engineers can
mitigate some of the issues seen in large complex systems.  By using
modules the system hopes to allow the system to change but allow
engineers to re-use as much code as possible.  By using the modules in a
framework we hope to encapsulate the entire system to that it is
controllable in the sense that we can generate and catch errors anywhere
in the system and exit gracefully, things like that.  There's a lot more
to it but the motivation spawn from our system where the system kept
needing to adapt to support changes in our company.  These changes over
time have resulted in a large number of "hacks".  The hope of the
modules is to make the code a lot cleaner and organized so that the
system can operate in whatever way it needs to without having so many
hacks.  This system I use also operates in a primitive distributed
environment.  Currently, these are ssh calls to other nodes that then
execute other python scripts and shell commands.  This is the next piece
I'm interested in moving away from.

With all that being said, I've come across those four technologies so
far and I've been looking into them.  I was wondering if anyone had any
comments, pros/cons, or suggestions of other distributed technologies to
take a look at.  I intend to integrate the distributed technology
directly into the framework making it easy for developers to distribute
tasks.  Anyhow, any comments would be greatly appreciated!  I also hope
to release this framework as an open-source project when its finished,
so again I community input is important.

Thanks!

.c

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall