proposal: disambiguating type

Heiko Wundram me+python at modelnine.org
Sun May 21 16:51:04 EDT 2006

Am Sonntag 21 Mai 2006 21:13 schrieb gangesmaster:
> i suggest splitting this overloaded meaning into two separate builtins:
> * type(name, bases, dict) - a factory for types
> * typeof(obj) - returns the type of the object

While I personally don't find this proposal to be bad, this is something that
should only be considered for Python 3000, because it breaks old code in very
unnecessary ways (because it's only for "beauty", not for function),
considering that most scripts written for Python 1.5.2 still work under
current Python without modification, and people expect them to.

--- Heiko.