Using python for a CAD program

David Cuthbert dacut at kanga.org
Thu May 18 04:11:01 EDT 2006

Paddy wrote:
> Unfortunately, Cadence got their first with their DFII environment for
> Schematic based design and their Lisp based language SKILL

Well, SKILL (a Franz Lisp derivative) is very old and has some peculiar
design quirks.  Interfacing with anything not written by Cadence or not
written in SKILL is painful, at best.

Interestingly, Python is being used as an extension language for the
OpenAccess database.  LSI Logic had a Python wrapper for 2.0 (it looked
like they used SWIG).  I had written one for 2.1, but never was able to
release it before my company was acquired by Cadence (and that project
quashed).

There is some interest... just not quite critical mass.