ideas for programs?

Thomas Bartkus thomasbartkus at comcast.net
Wed May 31 13:25:57 EDT 2006

"Brandon McGinty" <brandon.mcginty at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.6346.1149051733.27775.python-list at python.org...
> Hi,
> I've been learning python for the past couple of months and writing misc
> scripts here and there, along with some web apps.
> I'm wondering if anyone has ideas of programs I might try my hand at
making?
> I'd appreciate it if they don't use images, because I'm blind.
>
> Also, I'm thinking of hiring myself out as a free-lance programmer.

Python is your tool to put your expertise on a computer.  Skill with Python,
or any computer language for that matter, counts for little.  Expertise that
you can code into a computer program however, counts for much. No matter
what the language you use to accomplish computer automation.

> Are there many individuals/companies which would aprove programs written
> in python?

Don't even ask that question.  It's irrelevant.
Companies approve programs that solve company problems!  Does anyone care
what Excel, Quickbooks, Autocad, Turbo Tax,  MySQL, whatever, are written
in?  No!

Automate something useful!  A bookeeping problem.  Or a computer networking
problem.
OR  a chemistry, cooking, gardening, truck routing, record keeping, music
problem.
What about new ways a computer might make life easier for the handicapped?
Or old ways done better.  How do the blind communicate with a computer?  I
see nothing but software opportunites yet undone.

Python plus expertise in something else.  It's the something else that hangs
people up.  You need to have or acquire that something else. I can't write a
bookeeping program if I don't understand bookeeping and my Python abilities
offer no relief from that particular deficiency.

> Most adds I've seen require the programmer have a strong grasp of c++ or
> java.

Those ads are worthless!  They are put forth by people with meaningless jobs
in human resources and no understanding of what one might do with computer
software.

Hobbies? Interests? Expertise?  What inspires you that might be put into
computer code?
You can't sell a program because it's written in Python. But you can sell a
Python program that solves a problem. Find a problem and beat it with
software.

The particular language you choose to use has nothing to do with it!

But we do like Python ;-)
Thomas Bartkus