Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Wed May 17 07:57:39 EDT 2006

achates wrote:

> It's horrible but at least it would insulate me from the greater
> hideousness of having to hit the spacebar like a madman at the start of
> every line of code. I can even see how to get it to work in vi at
> least.

Hitting the spacebar like a madman? If you have a sensible editor then at
the start of a line you press tab once for each additional level of
indentation and backspace once for each fewer level and neither if the
indentation is guessed correctly by the editor.

in another post you suggested to someone else: