How do I take a directory name from a given dir?

Steve Poe steve.poe at gmail.com
Mon May 1 16:06:13 EDT 2006

Daniel,

Before writing your script, what is your general approach to backup
configuration files? Do you tar/zip them into one file? Do you ftp/ssh each
file to another server?

One approach I've used in backing up files from another server is:
from ftplib import FTP

def handleDownload(block):
    file.write(block)
#    print "."
os.chdir('/home/backup')
ftp = FTP('10.0.0.2')
ftp.login('backuserid','backuppasswd')
ftp.cwd('/home/backup')
# Start downloading
filename = 'main_config.tar.bz2'
file = open(filename,'wb')
print 'Getting ' + filename
ftp.retrbinary('RETR ' + filename, handleDownload, 1024)
print 'Closing file ' + filename
file.close()
#Finish downloading

The 'Start downloading' and 'Stop downloading' are what I repeat for each
file I need. I am sure there are better ways, but this works. I imagine you
could do this with wildcards as well.

Good luck.

Steve Poe