urllib2 not support proxy on SSL connection?

Heiko Wundram me+python at modelnine.org
Tue May 2 17:36:13 EDT 2006

Am Dienstag 02 Mai 2006 23:22 schrieb itay_k:
> Is it possible that urllib2 doesnt support for proxy over https
> connections?

Are you sure this a proxy which is accessed by https, or rather a proxy that
supports CONNECT, and thus allows you to access https-sites? I'd guess the
latter, which I haven't gotten to work with urllib2 so far.

AFAICT, that's why you get an unknown protocol error from the SSL library,
because the proxy starts a plaintext session, and urllib2 expects an SSL
session (which you try to use to access the proxy, because you specify https
as the proxy URL), and so doesn't know what to do with the data it gets.

I'd guess you'd have to rethink what you're doing here...

--- Heiko.