Python Programming Books?

Fri May 26 10:04:54 EDT 2006

Michael Tobis wrote:

> Of the books that are out there, Learning Python and Dive Into Python
> are best for the hobbyist as opposed to classroom setting, but my sense
> is that both of them go a bit too fast for the typical beginner with no
> formal training.

I agree that Dive Into Python moves too fast, but it's not really for
beginners anyway. It doesn't really teach the basics, it assumes you
know some Python already.

But I disagree about Learning Python. I think it's laid out and paced
perfectly. You start with data types and move slowly on from there. You
don't even learn about the actual syntax of Python until well into the book!