John Bokma harassment

olsongt at verizon.net olsongt at verizon.net
Wed May 24 09:43:39 EDT 2006

Tim N. van der Leeuw wrote:
> ilitzroth at gmail.com wrote:
> > I agree there are limits to you right to free speech, but I believe Xah
> > Lee is not crossing
> > any boundaries. If he starts taking over newspapers and TV stations be
> > sure to notify me,
> > I might revise my position.
> > Immanuel
>
> Perhaps he's not crossing boundaries of free speech, but he's
> repeatedly crossing boundaries on usenet nettiquette, even though
> repeatedly he's being asked not to do so. (Extensive crossposting to
> various usenetgroups / mailing lists, for instance).
>
> If he would just post his stuff on a blog and find a why to get people
> to visit hist blog, without crossposting to 10 usenest groups for each
> post he makes to his blog, then nobody would mind him expressing his
> opinions, and those interested could discuss them wildly on the blog.
>
> But I've repeatedly seen people telling him not to crosspost his essays
> to so many newsgroups, yet he continues doing it.
> If that's enough to quit his subscription with his ISP I don't know,
> but since I've stopped following threads originated by him I don't know
> what other grounds there would be.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --Tim

The trouble is there's no definitive definition of 'nettiquette' (and
no the RFC on nettiquette doesn't count).  Should people get kicked off
of thier ISP for top posting? What about not asking 'smart' questions
as defined by Eric Raymond?

In addition, the people telling him not to cross-post don't really have
any authority.  They're just random people on the internet.  For
example, you've cross posted to several groups.  I'm telling you to
stop.  Of course I'm doing the same thing and you can feel free to
ignore me.  I'm not the Supreme Master of comp.lang.python.

But I think you would agree that it would be harrassment if I went to
your ISP- nl.unisys.com - and said that you were abusing the internet
and 'spamming' the usenet, especially if you are a unisys employee (not
sure if they're a service provider over there, but I'm guessing not).
If I got a hold of the wrong person on the wrong day, you could lose
your job.

Xah is an crackpot, but he doesn't spam or mailbomb groups.  And
besides, what fun would the usenet be without crackpots?