Large Dictionaries

Maric Michaud maric at aristote.info
Tue May 16 02:20:38 EDT 2006

Le Lundi 15 Mai 2006 21:07, Diez B. Roggisch a écrit :
> > d={}.fromkeys(xrange(5*10**6)) ?
>
> That is a totally different beast. You don't want to insert arbitrary
> keys, you want the internal hash-array to be of the right size.

But you can replace the xrange part by any generator function you want.

def get_mykeys(..)
	yield key

I just the wonder if the time consuming part is the memory allocation of hash
table (key by key) or the hash operation itself.

I don't see a use case where a python programmer should need a
dictionnary "that will be probably big" but can't predict what keys will be
in.

--

Maric Michaud

Aristote - www.aristote.info