Help System For Python Applications

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue May 16 12:32:54 EDT 2006

bruno at modulix wrote:
> redefined.horizons at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On a related note, is there a way to fire up Adobe's Acorbat Reader or
> > and Web Browser from Python and have the external application open a
> > specified PDF or HTML file? (For example, I want to open the file
> > "myhelp.pdf" in reader from Python code.)
>
> os.system() may be a good start.

Take a look at the desktop module for a partial solution:

http://www.python.org/pypi/desktop

An example:

import desktop
desktop.open("itools-0.9.0.pdf")

Apparently, os.startfile will expose (or already exposes) other
parameters which may specify that the file be printed, amongst other
things. I may well add such functionality to the desktop module, since
various non-Windows systems have supported such things for a while.

Paul