A critic of Guido's blog on Python's lambda

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sun May 7 03:29:57 EDT 2006

Tomasz Zielonka wrote:

> On the other hand, what do you get by allowing ( as an indentifier?
>
> Significant whitespace is a good thing, but the way it is designed in
> Python it has some costs. Can't you simply acknowledge that?

One can admit this but what is it worth or how should those costs be
evaluated? This problem is unsolvable because we cannot agree on a
common standard of the value of PL design. All we can do is making the
decisions more visible. Obviously Lispers want the boundary between
application-level and interpreter-level programming as low as possible.
It is still present but making it invisible and expressing language
semantics through the language is regarded of high value. This makes
application level meta-programming as simple as it could be. Others
tend to separate the concerns/boundaries more strictly and standardize
the language while implementing all features regarded necessary for
application-level programming in a huge opaque runtime and a vast
amount of libraries. Application level metaprogramming is restricted to
runtime-reflection, metaclass-protocols, annotations etc. From this
point of view a programming language is basically an interface to a
virtual machine that is much like an operating system i.e. it supports
basic functions and hides complexity. This is the way Java and Python
have gone. The benefit of the latter approach lies not so much in
creating new language capabilities but considering the language as just
another application where requirement engineering and carefull design
can be done without sprawling in every possible direction ( see Forth
as an example for this tendency ). This way standard libraries (
"batteries included" ) become almost equal important and
"language-designer" is a job that is not once be done. This is roughly
my interpretation of GvRs "design view" on PLs that Xah Lee obviously
doesn't get - Xah is not important here, because he never gets anything
right but here are enough Lispers with quite some working brain cells
who seem to think that the best thing to do is giving a programmer
unlimited programming power.

Concluding remark: I'm not sure I want to defend one point of view all
the way long. Although not being a Lisper myself I can clearly see that
the DSL topic is hot these days and the pendulum oscillates into the
direction of more liberty. I have mixed feelings about this but I have
my own strong opinion of how those *can* fit into the CPython design
space and a working model that is to be published soon. As with the
dialectic double negation there is no return to a former position.