__init__.py, __path__ and packaging

Sandro Dentella sandro at e-den.it
Wed May 3 16:21:48 EDT 2006

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to fix the packaging of a very simple package, but some problem
show me that I have not well understood the whole mechanism

The structure of my package (some debug functions) is as follows:

python/
`-- dbg/
   |-- __init__.py
   `-- lib
       |-- __init__.py
       |-- debug.py
       `-- gtk_dbg.py

my sys.path includes 'python' and I wanted that the content of debug.py was
simply included by: 'import dbg', so I wrote dbg/__init__.py as follows:

    import os
    Dir = os.path.dirname(__file__)
    __path__ = [os.path.join(Dir, 'lib')]
    from debug import *

It seems to work:

python$ python -c 'import dbg; print dir(dbg)'
['DBG', 'Dir', '__builtins__', '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', \
'__path__', 'caller', 'debug', 'dshow', 'os', 're', 'show_caller', \
'sql_debug', 'sys']

BUT, if I set some variables they are not correctly seen:

import dbg
dbg.DBG = 1

function test included in debug.py raises NameError:

def test():
    print DBG

NameError: global name 'DBG' is not defined`

What's happening? DBG seems to be set, as shown by dir(dbg)... any hints?
I'd also accept a hint for a different approch, if it's the case, but I'd
really would also understant this issue

Thanks in advance
sandro
*:-)