Using python for a CAD program

Brendan spam4bsimons at yahoo.ca
Wed May 17 07:49:22 EDT 2006

On 17-May-06, at 6:33 AM, comp.lang.python group wrote:

>>I'd like my program
>>to *look* slick, like it belongs in a movie or something.  I think that
>>means starting from scratch, since I've not seen any CAD program
>>take
>>any artistic/human/psychological approach to its design.

>That *is* true - the problem with CAD programs are that they need the
>*exact* details to be entered at design time so one cannot easily
>schetch in them and fix the design errors later.

Not universally true, and here's a niche for you Andreas:

Most 2D cad requires that you enter ALL design information as you go.
You can't, for instance, draw a line at 30degrees to another line and
then change the second without having to redraw the first.  "Sketchers"
from 3D cad programs (like Solidworks, Inventor, Solid Edge,
Pro/Engineer) are more like geometry solvers - by putting in a
dimension, you say  "line a is always 30 degrees to line b".    Now
when you change the angle of line b, line a changes too!  In this way,
you can sketch out the SHAPE of your drawing, and worry about the
DIMENSIONS later.  You can't imagine how useful this is.  Now that I've
switched to Solidworks, my
drafting speed has doubled.

I haven't seen anyone make a 2D cad package with this behaviour.  I'm
sure there's a market for one if you go that route.

-Brendan