string.find first before location

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue May 2 08:46:12 EDT 2006

Serge Orlov wrote:

> Peter Otten wrote:

>> > and what about when python 3.0 is released and those depreciated
>> > functions like find and rfind are not supported. is there another
>> > solution which is more permanent?
>>
>> I think the functions may go away, the methods will stay; so I'm
>> confident the above will continue to work.
>
> find and rfind methods are in danger too. AFAIR they are to be replaced
> by partion and rpartition methods. People who are worried about future
> can continue to use index and rindex

I really should read those PEPs before posting.

And just as I was starting to complain I noted that my original reply to
Gary is buggy -- excluding the last letter in the string from the rfind()
search if "Here" is not found is probably never the desired behaviour. So
r/index() is indeed superior here.

Peter