John Bokma harassment

David Steuber david at david-steuber.com
Thu May 25 00:11:19 EDT 2006

I'm loath to crosspost this but I don't know which (if any) news group
Xah actually reads.  I also don't want to make just a private response
to Xah's email to a public post.  Anyway, the TOS of dreamhost.com is
here:

  http://www.dreamhost.com/tos.html

Two important sections I'll quote:

INTERNET ETIQUETTE

Electronic forums such as mail distribution lists and Usenet news
groups all have expectations regarding subject area and appropriate
etiquette for posting. Users of these forums should be considerate of
the expectations and sensitivities of others on the network when
posting material for electronic distribution. The network resources of
DreamHost Webhosting may not be used to impersonate another person or
misrepresent authorization to act on behalf of others or DreamHost
Webhosting. All messages transmitted via DreamHost Webhosting should
correctly identify the sender; users may not alter the attribution of
origin in electronic mail messages or posting.
Users must not attempt to undermine the security or integrity of
computing systems or networks and must not attempt to gain
unauthorized access. This includes (but is not limited to) such things
as port scanning of either DreamHost or external computers and Denial
Of Service attacks of any kind.

TERMINATION

This contract may be terminated by either party, without cause, by
giving the other party 30 days written notice. DreamHost Webhosting
will accept termination by electronic mail. Notwithstanding the above,
DreamHost Webhosting may terminate service under this contract at any
time, without penalty, if the Customer fails to comply with the terms
of this contract, including non-payment. DreamHost Webhosting reserves
the right to charge a reinstatement fee.

IANAL, but it looks like you can have your account canceled, Xah.
Although to tell the truth, even though I find your crossposting
excessive and your rants uninteresting I don't think it is frequent
enough to bitch about.  I do hope that no refund policy doesn't apply
when they terminate your account.

You would probably stand a good chance of keeping your account if you
stop crossposting so much.  Dreamhosting has defined internet
etiquette for you.  Stick within those bounds and you can defend
yourself against people who complain.

Good luck

--
http://www.david-steuber.com/