A critic of Guido's blog on Python's lambda

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat May 6 03:21:03 EDT 2006

Steve R. Hastings <steve at hastings.org> wrote:
> > But the key in the whole thread is simply that indentation will not
> > scale. Nor will Python.
>
> This is a curious statement, given that Python is famous for scaling well.

I think "ridiculous" is a better characterization than "curious", even
if you're seriously into understatement.

> I won't say more, since Alex Martelli already pointed out that Google is
> doing big things with Python and it seems to scale well for them.

And of course we're not the only ones.  In fact, I believe that we're
not even among the firms which have reported their experiences in the
official "Python Success Stories" -- IBM, Industrial Light and Magic,
NASA, etc, etc, are there, but we arent.  I guess we just prefer to play
our cards closer to our chest -- after all, if our competitors choose to
use inferior languages, it's hardly to our advantage to change that;-).

Alex