q - including manpages in setup.py

Serge Orlov Serge.Orlov at gmail.com
Sun May 28 23:40:48 EDT 2006

aum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the best way to incorporate manpages in a distutils setup.py
> script?
>
> Is there any distro-independent way to find the most appropriate place to
> put the manpages?
> For instance, /usr/man/? /usr/share/man? /usr/local/man?
> /usr/local/share/man?

What do you mean distro? Linux? That should be /usr/local/man but AFAIK
some distros are misconfigured and their man doesn't search /usr/local
by default, YMMV.

> Also - I've got .html conversions of the manpages, for the benefit of OSs
> such as Windows which don't natively support manpages. What's the best
> place to put these?

your_tool --html-manual that uses os.start or webbrowser module to
invoke html viewer. Or your_tool --man that dumps plain text on the
screen.