Specific performance question - Python vs. Java

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Fri May 19 05:32:47 EDT 2006

reinsn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have got a specific question on performance: Is the overhead of
> object creation in Python lower than in Java? I mean, I would argue, in
> Java by object creation, the complete class is the model and all
> methods and attributes are generated for the object.
> In Python, methods and objects are only generated, if reached: so could
> this represent a performance advantage for Python?

No, this is a misunderstanding on your side. In all OO-languages, the code
(methods) are separated from the instance. Thus creating an object results
in memory allocation _only_ for the members of that object, not any
methods! In python, this boils down to a dictionary holding the members,
JAVA/C++ allocate whatever the class makes them to.

So, no, no performance advantage.

Diez