Tabs are *MISUNDERSTOOD*, *EVIL* AND *STUPID*, end of discussion. (Re: Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code)

Christopher Weimann csw at k12hq.com
Fri May 19 17:32:50 EDT 2006

On 05/19/2006-07:18AM, Duncan Booth wrote:

> My experience of programming with either spaces or tabs has taught me
> that tabs are evil not for themselves, but simply because no matter how
> hard you try they always end up being mixed with spaces.

Swap the word 'tabs' for the word 'spaces' and you get...

  My experience of programming with either tabs or spaces has taught me
  that spaces are evil not for themselves, but simply because no matter how
  hard you try they always end up being mixed with tabs.

Which is just as vaild as the un-swapped paragraph. Both versions
express a bias. The first is biased in favor of spaces. The second is
biased in favor of tabs. Neither have any useful content. Mixing is bad
but that fact doesn't favor spaces OR tabs.