Questions about the event loop

egbert egbert.bouwman at hccnet.nl
Wed May 17 02:17:45 EDT 2006

What does a gui_event_loop know ?

My gui is based on pygtk,
but i suppose the mechanism is the same everywhere.

The gui is created within a class-instance within a function.
Normally, ie without a gui, everything that happens within
a function is forgotten as soon the function ends.

But in a gui_event_loop the callback-method within the function
can be called, and this callbacks calls another function
also within the same first function.
And that function already stopped.

Maybe somebody can explain what is going on, or where I can find
further explanations.

The structure of my gui script is as follows:
    import gtk
    def func():
        def callback_helper():
        class Klas(object):
            def __init__(self):
                # create gui with self.callback()
            def callback(self, widget):
                callback_helper()
        klas = Klas()

    func()
    gtk.main()

egbert
--
Egbert Bouwman - Keizersgracht 197 II - 1016 DS  Amsterdam - 020 6257991