memory error with zipfile module

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri May 19 11:11:22 EDT 2006

bruno at modulix  <onurb at xiludom.gro> wrote:
>http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2004-October/153882.html
>"""
>MemoryError is raised by Python when an underlying (OS-level) allocation
>fails.
>(...)
>Normally this would mean that you were out of even virtual memory
>(swap), but it could also be a symptom of a libc bug, a bad RAM chip, etc.
>"""

There's another possibility, which I ran into recently. Which is a
problem with physical+virtual memory exceding the space addressable by
a process. So I've got 2G physical + 4G swap and I'm getting just such
a memory error -- I'm sure the compressed + uncompressed data isn't
going to eat all of that. But on a 32bit OS, it doesn't need to of
course. 2G is quite enough to cause problems....

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
  ___  |  "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the other"