"Only one obvious way..."

JShrager at gmail.com JShrager at gmail.com
Mon May 8 02:51:22 EDT 2006

>If I ever _DO_ find a language that *DOES* mercilessly refactor in pursuit
> of the ideal "only one obvious way", I may well jump ship, since my faith in
> Python's adherence to this principle which I cherish so intensely has
> been so badly broken ...

The phrase "only one obvious way..." is nearly the most absurd
marketing bullshit I have ever heard; topped only by "it fits your
brain". Why are so many clearly intelligent and apparently
self-respecting hard-core software engineers repeating this kind of
claptrap? It sounds more like a religious cult than a programming
language community. If one of my students answered the question: "Why
use X for Y?" with "X fits your brain." or "There's only one obvious
way to do Y in X." I'd laugh out loud before failing them.