to thine own SELF be true...

Michael Ekstrand michael at elehack.net
Fri May 5 14:12:28 EDT 2006

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 05:08:24PM +0000, Mark Harrison wrote:
> Is there a way to get rid of those the "self." references, or is this
> just something I need to get my brain to accept?

It's pretty much just something you'll need to get your brain to accept.
You can replace self with something shorter, like s, but that's sure to
cause mass confusion for other people who try to read your code.

I, however, find that the self. references are a great benefit to
readability, as it makes the scope of a variable quite easy to tell.  A
lot of my C++ code is littered with `this->' or similar
explicit-scope-description things...

- Michael

--
mouse, n: a device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
                -- Fortune