can distutils windows installer invoke another distutils windows installer

timw.google timothy.williams at nvl.army.mil
Wed May 10 15:45:49 EDT 2006

Hi all.

I have a package that uses other packages. I created a setup.py to use
'try:' and import to check if some required packages are installed. I
have the tarballs and corresponding windows installers in my sdist
distribution, so if I untar my source distribution and do 'python
setup.py install', the script either untars the subpackages to a tmp
directory and does an os.system('python setup.py install') (Linux), or
os.system(<bdist_wininst installer>) (win32) for the missing
subpackage.

This seems to work fine, except that on Windows, I can't uninstall the
main package with Windows 'Add or Remove Programs' from the control
panel.  If I install my main package with a bdist_winst installer, I
can.

Is there a way to set up a bdist_wininst installer to do what I can do
with the source dist?

Thanks in advance,

----
Tim Williams