[HACKERS] Iterating generator from C (PostgreSQL's pl/python RETUN

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Mon May 15 17:21:32 EDT 2006

Hannu Krosing <hannu at skype.net> writes:
>> Sven Suursoho wrote:
>>> As for testing in actual pl/python build environment, we had objections from
>>> leading postgresql Tom Lane that even if we do test it at build time,
>>> a determined DBA may substitute a buggy python.so later and still crash her DB instance.

The above is a straw-man depiction of my point.  What I said was that just
because python is up-to-date on the system where plpython is *compiled*
does not mean it'll be up-to-date on the system where plpython is *used*.
With the increasing popularity of prebuilt packages (rpm, deb, etc),
I think it's folly to use a build-time check for this.

			regards, tom lane