noob question: "TypeError" wrong number of args

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue May 2 19:34:35 EDT 2006

Edward Elliott <nobody at 127.0.0.1> writes:

> bruno at modulix wrote:
> > class MyObj(object):
> >   def __init__(self, name):
> >     self.name = name
>
> class MyObj(object):
>   def __init__(name):
>     self.name = name

So the tradeoff you propose is:

  - Honour "explicit is better than implicit", but users are confused
    over "why do I need to declare the instance in the method
    signature?"

against

  - Break "explicit is better than implicit", take away some of the
    flexibility in Python, and users are confused over "where the heck
    did this 'self' thing come from?" or "how the heck do I refer to
    the instance object?"

I don't see a net gain by going with the latter.

-1.

--
 \       "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are |
  `\     fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."  -- "Lord" George |