Time to bundle PythonWin

Dave Benjamin ramen at lackingtalent.com
Thu May 11 18:09:35 EDT 2006

Hey folks,

Why is PythonWin (win32all) still a separate download from a third party?
Is it legal, technical, or what? I think it's about time it be part of the
standard distribution.

There are many useful things that you ought to be able to do without
downloading third-party libraries. Terminating a process, for example.
Communicating with other applications via a standard, common protocol
(COM). We demand these things from our UNIX environments--why do we
tolerate their omission on the Windows platform?

Mac libraries are bundled with Python's *standard library*. I'm not even
advocating merging the win32 extensions with the standard library. All I'm
saying is that when you install Python on Windows, it should ask you if
you want to install PythonWin too, and that this option be selected by
default.

I write applications that use COM and Tkinter to automate basic office
tasks. My users are thankfully benevolent enough to download and install
Python on their own. They don't know what PythonWin is, they aren't
remembering it, and frankly, I don't think it should be their concern.

It's time to bundle PythonWin.

--
    .:[ dave benjamin -( ramen/sp00 )- http://spoomusic.com/ ]:.
              "we control the sun" - toys that kill