How to tell if function was passed a list or a string?

rh0dium steven.klass at gmail.com
Wed May 17 17:22:37 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I have the nice little function (below) which used to work great
assuming the data[key] passed to it was a list.  Well now I want to
update this a bit.  I want this function to be smart enough to tell if
it's a list and do the funky concatonation otherwise don't.

  def insert(self, table=None, data=None):
        insert1=[]
        insert2=[]

        for key in data.keys():
            insert1.append(key)
            self.logger.debug("Key: %s Data: %s" % ( key,data[key]))
            try:
                an = []
                for a in data[key]:
                    an.append(re.sub(",","", str(a)))
                ans = string.join(an, ", ")
            except:
                ans = None
            insert2.append(ans)

        self.logger.info( "Insert command  %s" % insert )
        self.cursor.execute(insert)

The question is how do you tell that the data you were passed is a list
or not?

Thanks so much!