A critic of Guido's blog on Python's lambda

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon May 8 05:04:06 EDT 2006

olsongt at verizon.net writes:

> Alex Martelli wrote:
> > >
> > > This is a curious statement, given that Python is famous for scaling well.
> >
> > I think "ridiculous" is a better characterization than "curious", even
> > if you're seriously into understatement.
>
> When you consider that there was just a big flamewar on comp.lang.lisp
> about the lack of standard mechanisms for both threading and sockets in
> Common Lisp (with the lispers arguing that it wasn't needed) I find it
> "curious" that someone can say Common Lisp scales well.

You really need to get better at distinguishing between reality and
usenet flamewars.  While some comp.lang.lispers were bitching back and
forth about this, others of us were in Hamburg listening to Martin
Cracauer from ITA talking about "Common Lisp in a high-performance
search environment".  In case you aren't aware, ITA is the company
that makes the search engine behind Orbitz.