An Atlas of Graphs with Python

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Mon May 1 12:08:01 EDT 2006

In article <4455e186$0$14794$4fafbaef at reader4.news.tin.it>,
Giandomenico Sica <nospam at nospam.nospam> wrote:
> Call for Cooperation
>An Atlas of Linguistic Graphs
>
>I'm a researcher in graph theory and networks.
>I'm working about a project connected with the theory and the applications
>of
>linguistic graphs, which are mathematical structures useful to represent
>languages and consequently to manage the organization of data in different
>kinds of scientific fields.
>At the present I'm developing an application of these graphs to medicine,
>specifically related to the ontology of clinical diseases.
>And now to the purpose of this message, which is to ask if someone in this
>list
>can be interested in collaborating with me about the construction of an open
>source software useful to represent, to analyse and to compare linguistic
>graphs.
>I've developed the project but don't have the necessary programming skills
>proceed with the creation of the code.
>The software would be distributed in public domain and the collaboration is
>free
>and voluntary.
			.
			.
			.
Much as I'd love personally to take up this opportunity,
previous commitments preclude it.  I wonder whether it
might attract someone at Google?  They certainly have
an interest in analytic linguistics and familiarity with
high-level languages; while Summer of Code might appear
superficially to be a vehicle of some sort, I believe it's
already closed to new project ideas ...

I'd ask also among the practitioners of ML, Lisp, J, Snobol,
and other high-level languages that I believe are likeliest
to host interest in graph theory.  It's certainly true,
though, that Python boasts at least a couple.