Unexpected extension module behaviour

rimmer jmcmonagle at velseis.com.au
Wed May 24 22:09:12 EDT 2006

I'm writing an extension module in C in which I'm passing an array of
floats from C to python.  The code below illustrates a simple C
function designed to output an array of floats.

---------
extTest.c
---------
#include <stdio.h>

double *testArray(int nsamp) {

  double nums[10000];
  int i;
  double cumdata = 0.0;

  printf("%d\n", nsamp);
  for (i=0; i<=nsamp; i++) {
    printf("%d\n", i);
    nums[i] = cumdata;
    cumdata += 0.5;
    printf("%f\n", nums[i]);
  }
  return nums;
}

Then I write a wrapper function to pass the data back and forth between
C and Python.

----------------
extTestWrapper.c
----------------

#include "/usr/include/python2.4/Python.h"
#include <stdio.h>

// external declarations
extern float *testArray(int);

// Python wrapper for the testArray function
PyObject *extTest_testArray(PyObject *self, PyObject *args) {

  double *nums;
  int nsamp;
  int i;
  PyObject *pynums;

  if (!PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "i", &nsamp)) {
    return NULL;
  }

  // call the C function
  nums = testArray(nsamp);

  // build a Python list object containing the array values
  pynums = PyList_New(nsamp);
  for (i=0; i<=nsamp; i++){
    PyList_SetItem(pynums, i, PyFloat_FromDouble(nums[i]));
  }
  return Py_BuildValue("O", pynums);
}

// method table mapping names to wrappers
static PyMethodDef extTestMethods [] = {
  {"testArray", extTest_testArray, METH_VARARGS},
  {NULL, NULL}
};

//module init function
void initextTest() {
  Py_InitModule("extTest", extTestMethods);
}

I then run the following setup.py script using python setup.py install
--install-lib=.

# setup.py for extTest

setup(name="extTest", version="0.0.1",
ext_modules=[Extension("extTest", ["extTest.c", "extTestWrapper.c"])])

The library builds and installs ok.  When I invoke the testArray
function, it appears to work correctly (the output is as expected).

For example,

import extTest
a = extTest.testArray(5)

yields the following output:

5
0
0.000000
1
0.500000
2
1.000000
3
1.500000
4
2.000000
5
2.500000
Exception exceptions.IndexError: 'list assignment index out of range'
in 'garbage collection' ignored
Fatal Python error: unexpected exception during garbage collection
Aborted

Here is where I'm stumped.  I must be doing something wrong during the
PyList_SetItem or the Py_BuildValue.

Any ideas on fixing this problem ?

Regards,

Rimmer