Looking for triangulator/interpolator

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat May 27 01:30:49 EDT 2006

On 2006-05-27, Travis E. Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:

>> I need to interpolate an irregularly spaced set of sampled
>> points: Given a set of x,y,z points, I need to interpolate z
>> values for a much finer x,y grid.
>
> How many x,y,z points do you have?

I've got about 700 data points.  They're arranged irregularly
along arcs arranged in sort of truncated fan-shape.

> Did you try the fitpack function bisplrep in scipy?

Not recently.  I spent a month or so wrestling with bisplrep a
while back, but was unable to get stable results (either with
real world data or with the example from the tutorial):

http://www.visi.com/~grante/scipy/interpolate.html
http://www.scipy.net/pipermail/scipy-user/2004-December/003921.html

I switched to a trianguation scheme shortly after that posting,
and haven't tired bisplrep since then.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I call it a "SARDINE
                                  at               ON WHEAT"!